ALD, The Accumulation of Horrors That Was 1893

John and Gertie came in from Idaho. They spent a part of their time with us and a part with the Tuckers in Lexington. This was the last time we saw John. He went back to Idaho and died January 15th. He requested that he be buried in our lot in Salem. He died bravely as a Christian. How I thank God for that blessing. Gertrude’s mother went to Idaho and returned with Gertie and was at our house at the funeral. They had a fearful trip, delayed by a snow storm. Gertie went to Lexington to live with her parents. She was and is devoted to John. Her parents are dead now and she had a home in Winchester, Virginia.

For a long time Gertie joined us in our reunions, but she had the care of her mother and then my husband’s death obliged me to close my house. One year while Elsie was at school Bob and Sadie went to Baltimore. They went by boat and enjoyed it. Sadie was especially pleased. She had been out very little. She was a lovely child in person and disposition. Another trip was to Hampton. Bob took all the children. Our friends the Langhornes went. They had a fine trip. This was the Assembly of Ships at Hampton Rhodes, and one visit Phil and I took to W. Virginia together in September 1902. He was the joy of my heart, the darling of the whole family. We stayed a month. John Lee was born. Sallie, Nancy, and Maud are cute little girls and Phil loved to play with them.

John Lee is not* a married man and a soldier in France. He is a lieutenant in the artillery. Just think what changes I have seen, how many of my family gone, and I left with so many memories.


I have never been robust, but with all my inferminies* I must have had great powers of enjurance* and a strong constitution.

(*infirmiries, *endurance)

John and Phil went to To anole* College, Elsie to Baltimore, Sadie to Mrs. Gay. Mollie spent the winter in Wilmington, North Carolina with Janice Strange and also visited Mary McCrea.


The next year 1893 was an accumulation of horrors. In January my mother fell down the steps and injured herself dreadfully, and was in bed many weeks and never recovered from the fall. So when a telegram came saying Strother was ill with pneumonia I had to get Bob to go to him as it was impossible for me to leave my mother. Strother only lived five days. A very remarkable incident occurred. We had a telegram Saturday night from the doctor saying the crisis had passed and Strother had a chance to recover. Sunday morning we were so relieved. While at breakfast we heard a heavy fall. Sadie and Mary White rushed up to my mother’s room and found her. When they entered the room she said, “Strother is dead”. My mother became unconscious. The doctor came at once and applied restoratives. Then a telegram came saying Strother had died at 9:30 a.m., just the identical moment my mother fell. A remarkable coincidence. She thought he was better, from the news the night before.

This was a great blow, especially to my mother and to me for Strother is like a son to me. I am 21 years older and have had the care of him always from the day my mother went to Lexington. I weaned him and educated him. He lived with me until he went to New York and had visited me every summer. He was as my son. I do not attempt to write of our sorrow.

In June, Joe and family and Mercer and Lizzie and Gertie met at our house. We had a joyous time. Philip was the life of the house. He had recovered from his burns and was such a handsome boy. He was a find* mimic and kept us laughing all the time. He and John usually drove to Salem every afternoon, but John had promised Lewis Langhorne so Phil went with Erskine Burdell to Mason’s Creek to join the other boys swimming. Georgine and I went to pay calls and stopped at the photographer’s gallery to arrange for a sitting on Tuesday. This was Saturday, June 10th. While we were there we were sent for and when we got their Annie Langhorne came to meet us and said for us to drive to Mason’s creek. Mr. Langhorne and professor Cannady drove with me and we got to the bridge I saw my husband stricken with grief. I did not need to be told that our darling was drowned. We drove together with our darling in our laps. Every effort was made to restore him. God alone knows the agony we suffered.


Since then I think my husband’s and John’s death and my mother’s are the result. But God has seen fit to let me live and suffer. I never finished my book. I could not see for a number of years and now I am too old. My brother died in February the 5th 1893. Phil was drowned June 10th 1893 and my mother died August 21st 1893. My husband died December 26th, 1900, my father February 9th, 1903. Lettie G. Logan January 17th, 1918, and Philip C. Logan September 1919.

About Dawn Quarles

Dawn Quarles is a high school political science and American history teacher who moonlights as a blogger and writer. She lives on Pensacola Beach, Florida.


2 Responses to “ALD, The Accumulation of Horrors That Was 1893”

  1. Thomas Moore says:

    Life is tragic sooner or later but life goes on. She lost a lot in that one year,1893. Akin to me losing my older brother, then my mother, then my younger brother and then my sister, all within the span of a year and a half.Every poem is an epitaph.

Speak Your Mind

Share your thoughts, and if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!